Sunday, May 29, 2011

Smile Cookies on a Stick
by My Cake School

Tutorial - You have to try and make these for your next party. What Fun.
First, you’ll need to pick out a sugar cookie recipe–just google “sugar cookies that do not spread”– the shapes become a little distorted and puffy otherwise.
Then, make that recipe and roll out your dough!  I like to roll mine out in between two sheets of parchment paper.  Roll to about 1/4″ thick (thick enough for a lollipop stick to fit into).

Move paper to a cookie sheet and cut out your shapes using a large circle cutter.  I’m only working with a little bit of dough at a time.
 
Leave your dough and cut shapes on the parchment and freeze for about 5 or 10 minutes (until firm).  Now, it’s time to cut your mouth shapes!
Using the same circle cutter, I am able to cut my cookie into two different mouths—one big grin, and one pair of lips.
 
I used the tip of a heart shaped cutter to help shape the upper lip.  See it there in the top left corner?  You could also just cut out that v-shape with a knife.
Next, insert your lollipop stick and bake until slightly brown around the edges.
Time to decorate with royal icing!  I outlined my shape with medium-stiff consistency royal icing, then flooded with thin consistency icing.  This gives those kissy lips a smooth look.  Use a toothpick to spread the icing to those hard-to-reach corners.
Here, I am piping the lips and teeth with stiff consistency royal icing, then I flood with yellow thin consistency icing.
 
I iced lots and lots of smiles today!  After they dried, I put them in a styrofoam block covered with CANDY!

No comments:

Post a Comment