Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fairy Princess Tutu

by The Cottage Home
 

Tutorial - This tutu would be perfect for a fairy princess. Make your tutu, embellish a leotard, give your little one a wand and she's ready.

This tutu is practically no-sew, so even if you don't consider yourself a sewer, give it a try.  There is a tiny bit of sewing, but it can easily be done by hand.  So let's get started.........

Supplies:

3 spools of tulle

1 piece of elastic (16"-20" - depending on size)

Ribbon

Scissors

Thread

Sewing machine or hand sewing needle

Directions:

 

Gather your supplies.  For a size 2T, I used 3 spools of tulle.  For larger sizes, I would probably use four.  Choose whatever colors you like.  You can use all of the same color or all different colors.

Measure your child's waist and subtract 2".  If you don't have a child nearby, use these approximate elastic sizes:

12 month - 17"

2T - 18"

3T - 19"

4T - 19.5"

5T - 20"

 

Sew the two ends of the elastic together.  You can do this by machine or by hand.

Cut the tulle into strips.  For a size 2T, I cut the strips 30" long.  You will be doubling these up so they really will be about 14" after doubling and knotting.  Adjust accordingly depending on the height of your child.  30" strips makes the 2T tutu fall right below the knee.

Here are all of the strips of tulle cut and ready to become a tutu!

Stretch your elastic around something round.  Luckily I have children's dress forms, so I just used my 2-year old, but look for anything around your house that will stretch the elastic.......maybe a canister in the kitchen?

Take three strips of tulle and knot them around the elastic.  Don't pull too tight, as you don't want to bend your elastic.  Do this all the way around the entire band of elastic.  It's the three pieces of tulle in each knot that really make this tutu nice and full.

Tie a knot at the bottom of each individual piece of tulle.  I found doing this as I went was easier than saving it until the end, but do whatever works for you.


If you want to add a bit of whimsy, add some additional trim around the tutu.


I used long pieces of satin ribbon that I cut 26 inches long.  I added them sporadically around the tutu and knotted them at the bottom.


I also tied a large satin bow on the center-back of the tutu.


Here is the completed fairy princess tutu!  I don't know any little girl that wouldn't want to put this on.  So much fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment